Daylight Saving Time (DST) adjustments need to be made this Sunday morning at 2:00 am. Security devices and systems that may need attention include:
- Access control
- Intrusion detection
- Video surveillance
- Key and asset tracking systems
- Integrated systems
- Building automation
It’s important to verify automatic time correction for DST or to manually update the time on these systems if the time doesn’t change automatically. Integrated systems may have portions of the system that are time-dependent and systems like HVAC may be on a timed schedule. Implications of wrong system time can include:
- Door open/lock/access schedules may be off by one hour. This can cause a problem when staff arrives in the morning or leaves in the evening.
- Access control logs must be synchronized with the video surveillance to verify staff entry and exit events. Be sure to check time and attendance systems as well.
- Video surveillance evidence, necessary for police or court proceedings, may have the wrong time stamp associated with a critical incident.
- Automatic alarm arming of certain parts of your building may occur too soon or too late.
- Intrusion detection system logs must be synchronized with the video surveillance to verify intrusion events.
- Key and asset tracking systems, like Traka, may send automated notifications too soon or too late.
- This is also a great time to be reviewing your exterior and exterior viewing cameras for seasonal light changes. Make sure changing sun positions are not causing your system to record needlessly reducing your retention time.
We know your busy with your business. Call your favorite Vision technician to help you with any of these items.