The fourth of July is almost here and Vision Security Technologies encourages you to celebrate safely! Fireworks are a fun tradition and a spectacular way to celebrate America’s Independence Day with friends and family but they can be extremely dangerous if not handled properly.
Here a few reminders that can help keep the holiday safe and happy for everyone:
- Follow the directions on all fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper, this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Don’t attempt to alter or combine fireworks products.
- Never use homemade fireworks.
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Never allow children to handle fireworks.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Whoever lights the fireworks must be sober, wear safety glasses, and keep clothing well away from the flame when lighting.
- Only light fireworks outdoors on a smooth, flat surface, away from all flammable materials including dry leaves and paper.
- Never try to relight fireworks that appear to be duds.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap
Don’t forget about the safety of furry, four-legged family and friends! Protect your pets on the fourth of July by taking some basic precautions.
- Don’t take your pets to fireworks displays.
- Don’t leave your pets in a car by themselves.
- Don’t leave your pets unattended outside.
Have a blast! To learn more, visit the US Consumer Protection Safety Commission at www.cpsc.gov/fireworks and the National Safety Council at www.nsc.org/home-safety/tools-resources/seasonal-safety/summer/fireworks.